Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sacred Space

Definition of sacred space: ‘Sacred Spaces evoke a feeling of a sacredness of space and time, where Heaven seems to touch Earth and we find ourselves aware of the Holy, and filled with the Spirit.’

The places that I find are sacred in my life are Church, where I can pray and worship the Lord and home, when I listen to worship music and play my guitar.

There are many sacred spaces around the world, one of them is the World Trade Centre in New York, after the terrorist attack on the 11th September, 2001 this became a sacred space for many people. The loved ones of who died regularly visit this site to stop and remember them.

The reason that I think the World Trade Centre became a sacred place is because there was a sense of Christ that came over the site, which then people went to for comfort and support.

This event affected me and many other people deeply because of all the innocent people who died in the tragic event. It made me sad and made me feel sorry for every one of them.

Our class also listened to the song ‘Where the Streets Have No Name’ by U2 and discussed how it was an attempt to describe the concept of Heaven and how it was similar to the way many other people see Heaven, with words like 'light', 'freedom' and 'shelter'.

There can also be other sacred things (it is not just sacred ‘places’) you can also have sacred ‘time’, where you have uninterrupted time to do things that you like doing, like worship, play or even talk with family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. Using the WTC site as an example, how do you think a secular site like this can suddenly become sacred? What are the features, do you think, that causes the the profane to become sacred, or does it go the other way around?

    ReplyDelete